Thursday, January 08, 2009

Patrick "Swoon" Swayze

I watched the interview he did with Barbara Walters. It is terribly tragic and sad what the actor is having to endure. I never thought much about him, he was never one of my favorite actors although I really did love Dirty Dancing. Ghost was only so-so for me but Demi Moore was adorable in it. I did swoon over Richard Gere in An Officer and A Gentleman and I'm one of the very few people who liked him in the re-make of Breathless. But, my really favorite actor at the time was William Hurt, like Kathleen Turner said in the movie Body Heat to Hurt's character, "You're not too smart, I like that in a man." What's not to love about a fella like that?

Back to Patrick. I always recognized his ability to dance his heart out, there's no denying that talent in the man. He would've been fantastic as a regular on Dancing With The Stars but I think you are either a dancer or a star wanting to be a dancer but you can't be a star who is a dancer dancing with a star who wants to be one. Phew, I think you know what I mean. Patrick's wife is an accomplished dancer, too. She's a beautiful lady. I had never seen her in an interview before and I was impressed, very impressed. She's beautiful, intelligent, caring and supportive. They've been married for 33 years and admit to having some pretty ugly battles but they stuck through it all.

Modern medicine most definitely has a place in the world. I don't support anyone being over-medicated but I believe medicines can make life better when administered and used properly. Acting, to me, never really seemed like a big deal. I never considered actors heroes or heroines or mentors. Acting is more like playing make-believe and isn't what I consider serious business. Having said that, I love celebrities, I'm fascinated with their lives and really enjoy photos of them. Call me "shallow gal", I deserve it. I'm so shallow that the book on my nightstand is Here's The Story by Maureen McCormick. (I borrowed it from the library and so far I haven't found any food or scribbling in it). Anyway, back to Patrick. He suffered through horrendous chemotherapy and worked 12 hours a day on his new series, The Beast, for A&E. The schedule, he said, was really tough and made even tougher with the treatments and the cancer. He refused to take any pain killers because, he said, it would take the edge off and his performance could possibly suffer. Yikes! It's just acting, right? I can't imagine I would put acting before my own comfort. I have a pretty high tolerance for pain but I am pretty sure it's not that high. I don't know why he would want to suffer so much pain just for a TV show. It's not really admirable. It's puzzling beyond puzzling to me that acting would mean so much to an individual. I wonder if it's more about the money. His treatments must be very costly and Swayze hasn't really done anything notable for a while. If it is about the money I think it's very uncool beans he had to have more suffering piled onto what he's already trying to manage. Health care in this country is so expensive people are forced to great lengths to stay alive and be able to afford it.

I'm wondering something else, too. Jett Travolta - I hope, I really hope, that he wasn't taken off the medication to control his seizures because of anything to do with Scientology. I don't know much about Scientology but I do remember Tom Cruise blasting poor Brooke Shields (who, BTW, probably gave him his start in the business in Endless Love) for taking meds to battle post-partem depression. Like I said, sometimes medications are needed.

Anyway, it's very uncool beans if people can't afford health care and medications while Laura Bush buys a set of dinner plates for the White House to the tune of $475K. I sure hope Malia and Sasha don't have to do the dishes like my sister and I did!

7 Comments:

At 5:17 PM , Blogger tx_kittybelle said...

I havent yet watched the interview with Patrick Swayze. But i taped it so i can watch it hopefully over the week-end. Personally i have always loved Patrick. Dirty Dancing is one of my very fave movies. The fist thing i ever saw him in tho i think was The Outsiders. This movie was made before he became a really big star and it was great. It had Matt Dillon, Tom Cruise, C Thomas Howell, well t had some great future stars in it. I saw Patrick on a special that was on back in the summer called Stand up for Cancer or somethin like that. He looked just terrible. I really cant bring myself t watch Dirty Dancing anymore and especially Ghost since he has been fighting this terrible disease. I dunno why i cant make myself watch these movies that i so love. I guess its cause i can relate to what hes goin thru since i am a survivor myself. I know how hard the fight is. I do look forward to watchin him on The Beast. Hopefully he will survive this terrible thing called Cancer and live to see many more yrs of good health. His wife is an accomplished dancer, but so is is mother. She is a dance teacher, but im sure most everyone knows that. As for Jett Travolta, my heart goes out to him. So yung for life to end so tragically. John Travlota is also one of my fave actors. I saw him way back in the day a Vinnie Barbarino. lol. Then i saw him in Carrie. And then he went on to bigger and better things. I also wondered abt the whole Scientology thing. I dont understand that religon and i prolly never will. I too just hope that this young boy wasnt taken off his medication cause of religous beliefs. I remember when Tom Cruise blasted Brooke Shields for sufferin from somethin that happens to more women than im sure we will ever know abt. I lost all respect for him then. And i dont think i have ever watched a movie of his since. But neway, i wish Patrick Swayze all the best in the fight for his life. I will pray for him and his family, as i wll the Travolta family.

 
At 5:22 PM , Blogger windsong said...

I recently rented from the library The Outsiders and bought the book, a school project for my daughter and it's a great movie with a boat load of talent that went on to prove their worth.

My heart was breaking after watching Patrick and I cried, I really wept. As I said, I wasn't a huge Swayze fan but one doesn't have to be a fan to appreciate and love someone. I'm a celebrity whore, admittedly. His plight is so disturbing and we only know the public side.

 
At 6:47 PM , Blogger tx_kittybelle said...

I admit im a celebrity whore too. I dunno why, i just always have been. As i said before, i have always been a big Swayze fan. It breaks my heart to see what hes goin thru. I know i will prolly cry when i see this interview. Hes a very brave man. Especially since hes havin to go thru this terrible thing in the public eye. Another great Swayze movie was Red Dawn. It had some of the same great talent as The Outsiders. My thoughts and prayers are with Patrick and his family.

 
At 8:33 PM , Blogger cinnamongirl said...

Boy, did Patrick Swayze ever get dealt a huge kettle of uncool beans. I have always loved his look. Never really followed his career, but loved to look at those eyes. He has those tough eyes, like Clint Eastwood. Someone else that had them was, i think his name was, Jan Michael Vincent. He was killed back in the late '80's or early '90's. But Patick's eyes are always what captured my attention. I did love him in Dirty Dancing, Ghost, and Roadhouse, but other than that, didn't really follow his career. I saw the previews for the interview and meant to set my recorder (as i thought the People's Choice Awards was more important). Having missed the interview i can't comment on that, but i remember the first time i saw him, just a few months after word of his illness had been released. The sight of him brought me to tears as well. Why oh why do such awful things happen to good people. I believe that will be one of the first questions i will have for God when i go to Heaven. The Swayze family as well as the Travolta family will certainly be in my prayers. I did not know that the Travoltas had a son that was mentally challenged until his death was announced. Since then i have seen clips of John's interview with Larry King explaining the Kawasaki Syndrome that he reportedly had. Now there are others coming out saying that he was Autistic. Doesn't it all seem a little trivial now? What possible difference could it make other than to sell stories? Another fine example of our media on slow news days. 'Let's see, what we can dig up on the celebrity family that is suffering the worst event of their lives.'
Reminds me of the Anna Nicole circus, but i'm not EVEN going there. I really wish the very best for the Swayzes and Travoltas.

 
At 7:12 PM , Blogger tx_kittybelle said...

I read an article earlier that said Patrick had admitted himself to the hospital. He is suffering from pneumonia. I really hope he can recover from this and that it doesnt set him back with his treatments for the cancer. I too remember Jan Michael Vincent. A great lookin man back in his day. But the hard life got ahold of him and like others before him, it took him down as well. As for his death, he is still alive and kickin. He did get into a car accident long ago that almost killed him. But he recovered from that and is still alive to this day.

 
At 12:24 PM , Blogger windsong said...

Sadly, to add insult to injury, the critics haven't been kind to The Beast. Reviews say the show gets a "C" and that Patrick deserves so much better (better lines).

I also heard he's got pneumonia. They say that with the cancer and the treatments it isn't uncommon because both attack the immune system relentlessly.

 
At 5:12 PM , Blogger Steve Stubbs said...

Actually it is the chemo that attacks the immune system and depresses it, making the patient more susceptible to opportunistic infections. AIDS patients, who by definition have depressed immune systems, typically do not die of AIDS itself but of pneumonia.

Some cancers are very slow to develop and the prognosis is good. Pancreatic cancer, though, is a very aggressive disorder and it is likely Swayze is outta here.

As for Scientology, my understanding is they are opposed to psychiatry, not medicine in general. I think Travolta was being seen by a neurologist and not a psychiatrist, so it is doubtful the Scientologists interfered with that.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home