Monday, January 05, 2009

I Love My Library

That's right, I love my local library. It amazes me the range and volume of books and DVDs available. From my computer I can log into the system and renew books, request books and browse the catalog.

I remember back in the olden days we had to learn the Dewey Decimal System to be able to look up the books on cards. There were furniture-like cabinets made narrow enough and deep enough to just fit the little cards in. The drawers were really long, or so it seemed when I was only 3'2" tall. I loved our library as a kid. Everything was natural wood, the floors, the shelves, the tables. It smelled of wood and books, a rather pleasant smell. It also seemed really big, but since I was really small I am thinking my perception today would be quite different. I used to get a lot of books from the library. One thing I remember quite well is that we all cared for the items we borrowed. We were taught to respect books and so we did. We didn't bend down the corners to mark our place or drop food on the pages and, heaven forbid, write in any of the books. Everyone I knew returned the books on time to avoid the minimal late fee. Entering the library was entering into a world of hushed whispers, even silence. If anyone were to speak audibly a bespectacled
and prim woman would shush them. It was almost like entering the Catholic church that sat right next door (I know this because all my friends were Catholic and I used to go with them while they confessed their sins - sometimes it was a long wait).

Today the library is very different. For one, the floors are covered with foul smelling carpeting and the aroma of wood and books is long gone. This library is relatively new, too. The shelves and tables are metal and finding a real person to talk to isn't all that easy. One checks out electronically. But the selection is impressive, and not just because I was able to find Jonathan's Story by Julia London. I've found many great books and if I can't find them on the shelf I can request them and in a day or two they will arrive from any of the many locations in the county. In fact, there's usually more than one copy to be had so it's not difficult to get the book I want.

The selection of DVDs and videos is outstanding. I could kick myself for paying rental fees to watch a movie at home at my leisure. I've watched movies I never would've rented in the first place simply because I can get them for nothing, my favorite price. Recently, I watched The King of California, a movie I would never have considered paying to watch. It was a pretty good movie, too. I love Costco as much as the next guy but I would not want to die under one (you have to see the movie to know what I'm referring to). I also borrowed The Cranes Are Flying, Criterion Edition, no less!

You are wondering what could be uncool beans about it, right? Unfortunately, people have lost their respect for what doesn't belong to them. The books have caked on food between the pages. If that weren't enough, it appears as though some people take these borrowed books to the pool or the beach because they've been soaked and dried making the pages all wavy. Not only are the corners bent down but some whole pages have been folded in half. The worst transgression of all is people writing in the books. It appalls me that people would do such a thing. I've borrowed more than a few books where it appears someone fancies himself a better writer than the writer. It's like they are playing school and acting like an English teacher grading the manuscript. I can't help chuckling at the stupidity of these people because more often than not their corrections are incorrect. Don't they know that writers have editors and publishers who go over the stuff before printing? Ok, sure, once in a while there is a typo. I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about people taking pens and marking through sentences and re-writing them, crossing out words and changing the grammar, or suggesting a "better" way of writing something. I find it distracting and immensely disrespectful. They have no right to damage property that doesn't belong to them in such a manner. It's entirely selfish and egoistical. If the people doing this think it makes them look smart it doesn't. It's very uncool beans.

I'm also appalled at the condition of the DVDs. Most of them I pass over and that's the reason I end up with movies I wouldn't ordinarily rent. I borrow them merely because they aren't damaged and will most likely play without a hiccup in my player. I wanted to borrow Castle In The Sky, a pricey DVD if one were to buy it, but when I opened the case to see how it faired I couldn't believe the damage. It makes me wonder about people. After all, the ones ruining the discs, carelessly throwing them around unprotected, are also the ones who benefit from getting them at no cost. The huge number of incredibly wonderful films available on DVD at my library that are completely trashed is unfathamable and sad. It doesn't reflect well on us as a society. It really doesn't take any effort to handle them gently and respectfully. Such thoughtlessness is tragic and it's totally uncool beans.

8 Comments:

At 5:47 PM , Blogger tx_kittybelle said...

I posted a long comment abt libraries. It got lost somewhere in transit. So hopefully it will show up sooner or later.If not i will hav to try and remember everythin i wrote so i can rewrite it lol.

 
At 10:07 PM , Blogger cinnamongirl said...

I do love my library as well. As a child i was so very fond of reading. Monday was library day and that day had finally arrived. You would follow one another down the hall, stopping just before the library, to step into the restroom and wash your hands, so as not to soil the books. Finally you were there! Using that Dewey Decimal System you spoke of, brought back so many memories. Walking around the many, many cabinets looking for the right letter. Then pulling out the eternal drawer and thumbing through the little 3x5 cards until....low and behold....there it is. The title you have been so anxious to find. Now you are off to the aisles, looking closely at each one. After finding the correct one, you dilligently look up and down the shelves, until....there it is. You have found the space where you wanted to find "Charlotte's Web", unfortunaltely just as badly as the person before you did.
What might have turned into an Uncool beans day did not. You have just realized that the Book Mobile will be coming to the 7-11 by the school on Thursday. Surely it would be there!

 
At 8:03 AM , Blogger Steve Stubbs said...

Good grief. I thought Texas was bad, but I have only seen one damaged book here in thirty years and no damaged DVDs or tapes. Anyway, love your blog and I am glad to have found it.

 
At 11:55 AM , Blogger windsong said...

I don't know how you ever found my blog. Google doesn't know it exists. Anyway, I've read on other blogs people not only admitting but actually bragging about being "guilty" of writing in library books, correcting perceived errors. Some folks simply think too highly of their abilities.

 
At 4:19 PM , Blogger tx_kittybelle said...

OMG, I absolutely LOVED the Book-Mobile. I couldnt wait to visit it everytime it came to our school. We used to also have this lil paper called The Weekly Reader. U could order all kindsa stuff from there. Posters, Books, etc. Since i live in a small town, our library hasnt been modernized like alot of big city libraries. We still have lil ole lady librarians that work behind the counter and stamp the books when u bring em back or check em out. The rows and rows of shelves with books on them are just great. I havent borrowed a book from there in quite a long time, but my dad was a weekly visitor there when he still lived here withme. And im sure once he comes back home, he will visit there once again.

 
At 6:48 PM , Blogger Steve Stubbs said...

Dear Ali:

Well I never have written in library books. I did try to paint over pictures at the Kimbell Art Museum, but when I approached their favorite Picasso with a dripping brush I was politely discouraged from going any further.

Some people just don't recognize that paintings can be improved by an expert.

 
At 6:55 AM , Blogger windsong said...

We got the Weekly Reader, too. It was a pretty exciting day when those little newspapers arrived in our classroom. It was a veritable EVENT.

It's been a long time since I've seen those cards that get stamped in a library book. Now all I get is something that looks like a grocery store receipt.

 
At 12:54 AM , Blogger hake1999 said...

I too love libraries - and bookshops of all kinds. As a youngster, I haunted our local library, and at one point attempted to read every library book in the Children's section.
(For the record, I failed miserably).
But shock and horror - I now must admit for the very first time to an act of despicable desecration - being head over heels in total love with Hayley Mills (I'm sure Ali Gator can sympathise with this!), and there being such a dearth of information on that young starlet in New Zealand, I wantonly and with malice aforethought cut out an previously unseen photo of her from a reference biography book to add to my sparse collection.
This is the only damage I have ever done to a library book, and ambivalently, even today, I still feel some selfish (if ill-placed) justification - and I hope is partly ameliorated by the "Sorry!" I wrote in the book beside the missing (small) photograph!

Uncool beans for real - but I was young, and so in love!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home