Thursday, January 01, 2009

The Trouble With Holidays

All the stores are closed, well, just about all of them. Kmart is usually open but our Kmart is having a going-out-of-business sale and all sales are final. I stay away from that kind of event. I don't really like to shop but I have to say, the feeling I get going out when all the stores are closed is down right eerie. The parking lots are empty and ominous looking. It feels like The Day The Earth Stood Still, so little movement. I hate lots of traffic, too, but this quietude is upsetting just the same. At least some of the bars are open. The problem with New Years Day is that no one is at the bar because they drank themselves under the table the night before and into the early hours of the New Year Day so most people are home in bed nursing their dastardly hang-overs. The ones who didn't get totally smashed are planning their big football parties. You know the kind, lots of chips and salsa, chicken wings, deli meats, and maybe a pot of piping hot chili if the host is really ambitious. Of course, for those whose wives and girl friends have opted for a movie there's pizza-by-phone, delivered right to the door.

Back to the stores being closed, I'm thinking about the people who work at those stores who have the day off. Wouldn't they like to do a little shopping on their day off? They don't get the chance to shop when they are working. If you work at Victoria's Secret but are in dire need of a new toaster oven you need to get out of the store you work in and go shopping. It's not fair, really. I really don't care for this eerie feeling of desolation the holidays bring.

Well, since the stores are closed and I don't feel like going to the crowded movie theater or to my local watering hole I may as well get something done. I'm finally going to wash all the tile in my house, and I have a lot of that. I hate washing the floor, it's definitely not my idea of cool beans.

Happy New Year, everyone.

6 Comments:

At 4:07 PM , Blogger tx_kittybelle said...

As a person who works in retail, i know what u mean. I have the option to work the holiday or take the day off. Well i usually try to work cause the extra money really helps. Today, the store was really slow and quiet till abt 10ish when everyone started stirrin around and tryin to regroup aftersleepin off a hangover lol. The most annoyin part of my holiday tho is, that all my soaps are alays preempted cause of stupid football games.

 
At 5:43 AM , Blogger windsong said...

And, if you wanted some sexy lingerie Victoria's Secret is closed! Most of the mall stores are closed except for the movie theaters. And, yes, TV stinks if you aren't a football fan.

 
At 4:44 PM , Blogger tx_kittybelle said...

Another thing that rally bothers me is, if u ask someone how theyre doin, they just ignore u like your invisible or somethin. I mean, at least acknowledge that u hear it when someone is speakin to u.

 
At 5:07 PM , Blogger windsong said...

I know, right? I think I may have done that today at Kohls. The clerk was stacking stuff and he was gretting everyone and I was busy looking for shoes for my daughter. My daughter was cordial and I was busy, didn't even hear him! He spoke again to us and went on to apologize for speaking again, saying it was just habit. I told him I must be rude because I didn't know he spoke to me earlier and I didn't reply! LOL It was all good because we both understood.

 
At 7:26 AM , Blogger tx_kittybelle said...

Well, at least ya'll got the whole situation sorted out. lol. Some ppl just act like your the invisible person or somethin.

 
At 5:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

As an ex retail worker I so agree with you guys. I'd say Hello and can I help you find anything. I usually didn't get an answer and I swear I used to ask my friend if I was invisible or not. And about the stores being closed on Christmas it does have that eerie sci-fi/horror movie feel to it especially when you drive thru a totally empty Walmart parking lot-because any other time the place is packed and you have to search for a parking place.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home